Sunday, September 13, 2009

Common Place Books and Good Quotes

I just set up a link to my common place book. I haven't put my quotes in it yet, so you won't get very far trying to look at it. Sorry. :( But I did want to comment on Jared's latest post about Lolita. I, too, was caught up with the same line! Nabokov is bringing the reader into the the mind of Humbert, and bringing Humbert into the reader's mind. It's kind of like a sign that says "Look at me". Would we have looked at the sign had it not said that? Maybe, but the important thing is that the sign is bringing attention to itself rather than any message that it is relaying. In the same way, we are now to look at Humbert Humbert not as some message that the author is trying to relay but as his own separate entity, an entity that we actually create because we are imagining him. So, if we are personally imagining Humbert and his exploits, are we as much a part of his crimes as he is, since he wouldn't be committing those crimes if nobody was there to read about and imagine them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adopt one today!Adopt one today!Adopt one today!Adopt one today!